Barna von Sartory was born in 1927 in Pécs, Hungary. In 1950, he graduated in architecture, and in 1961 in sculpture. His work has been exhibited in solo shows in Austria, Germany, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. He used to participate regularly in international symposia on sculpture: Berlin, Germany, in 1962; St. Margarethen, Austria, in 1963; Vyšné Ružbachy, Slovakia, in 1966; Ostrava, the Czech Republic, in 1967; and Proctor, Vermont, USA, in 1968. While creating the sculpture in Ravne na Koroškem in 1970, he was teaching experimental environmental design at the National Academy for Graphic Arts, Printing and Advertising in Berlin. A citizen of Austria, he has been running the Barna von Sartory art house in the township of Grimme near Brüssow, a town in the Uckermark district, in northeastern Germany.