Irmtraud Olga Ohme was born on 15 March, 1937, in Magdeburg, Germany. From 1955 to 1960, she studied industrial design, majoring in metal – enamel, at the School of Industrial Design in Halle, Giebichenstein. For a short period of time, she worked as a designer in industry. From 1961 onwards, she was assistant, and from 1977 onwards senior lecturer in the department of enamel design at the Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design Halle (Burg Giebichenstein Kunsthochschule Halle). In 1981, she became Full Professor and Head of the Department of Metal and Enamel Design. After the school’s reorganisation, she was appointed as Professor and Head of the Department of Plastics and Metal. Irmtraud Ohme created mainly sculptures made of steel, stainless steel, stone and concrete. They are located in numerous public places, including the Moritzburg Foundation in Halle. From 1963 onwards, she participated in about 250 exhibitions in Germany and abroad. She attended sculpture symposia in Stassfurt, Berlin and Ravne na Koroškem. She received several awards for her work. She was preparing an extensive exhibition at the Kunsthalle Villa Kobe in Halle to round off her university career; however, she did not live to see it. It was completed by her assistants. She died in Tenerife in 2002.